Tuesday, August 6, 2013

[MANNAM International] MANNAM Volunteer Association Busan South Korean class went on a field trip to Hulksilu.

I first found out about MANNAM last year, when I was approached by a very nice and friendly representative at the Kyongsung-Pukyong subway stop last year. I was informed about the free Korean and other cultural classes offered. I began to learn Korean by myself, mastering the alphabet and a few useful word and phrases. Having had to let the opportunity to go to a class pass me by last year, somehow miraculously the same opportunity presented itself to me around the same time this year. I enthusiastically signed up for my free Korean class. I was enthusiastically greeted and lead into an awesome experience, for which I am very thankful.  
I was impressed by my first Korean lesson. Teaching students English every working day, I was excited to be a student again, and learn something new. The experience of learning Korean exposed me to a role reversal, and helped me to understand my own students learning English. Repetition, slow pace, and positive attitude are key. It was nice and exciting to meet other foreigners interested in learning Korean. Linda’s cheerful and happy smile and steady teaching pace helped us all absorb the new Korean vocabulary and phrases fast.



Our trip to Gijang, “Hulksilu” was great too. We met other MANNAM Korean teachers and foreigners. We took the bus and when we got off we were welcomed at the traditional Korean place.




The restaurant was in a little traditional Korean village, with traditional wooden Korean houses. We first had a delicious traditional Korean meal inside. Then we watched how rice cakes were made outside in the yard. We were able to take turns beating and crushing rice dough with a heavy wooden hammer. We could sample the cut up pieces rolled in yellow bean powder. They tasted amazingly soft and warm.




Then we walked around the property. There was a small zoo including monkeys, baby bears, guinea pigs and birds, and a botanical garden. We played traditional Korean games outside, competing to win prizes.
I am very thankful to have began my Korean language and cultural learning experience, and look forward to many more new experiences with MANNAM.




Lenka Graner



1 comment:

  1. It looks really nice short article to show a trip.
    If possible, plz let me know the meaning of the name 'Hulksilu'. :D

    ReplyDelete